Industrial Control Systems Network Protocol Parsers (ICSNPP) - Genisys over TCP/IP.
ICSNPP-Genisys is a Zeek plugin (written in Spicy) for parsing and logging fields used by the Genisys protocol. Genisys is a protocol created by Union Switch & Signal used to communicate with SCADA field devices, commonly used in the rail industry. Genisys was originally intended for use over serial connections, but today it is often transported over TCP port 10001 (although that port number has not been IANA-assigned). Genisys employs a client-server communication scheme (similar to Modbus) in which one server communicates with one or more client devices (each identified by a single byte address) over the same connection.
The parsing logic of this plugin was developed by reverse-engineering a sample PCAP containing Genisys traffic as well as by referencing the comments of a years-old dissector patch for Wireshark that was proposed but never accepted.
This parser produces one log file,
genisys.log, defined in analyzer/main.zeek.
For additional information on this log file, see the Logging Capabilities section below.
$ zkg refresh $ zkg install icsnpp-genisys
If this package is installed from
zkg it will be added to the available plugins. This can be tested by running
zeek -NN. If installed correctly you will see
ANALYZER_SPICY_GENISYS_TCP under the list of
If you have
zkg configured to load packages (see
@load packages in the
zkg Quickstart Guide), this plugin and scripts will automatically be loaded and ready to go.
Genisys Log (genisys.log)
This log captures and logs each Genisys message transmitted over TCP port 10001 to
|uid||string||Unique ID for this connection|
|id||conn_id||Default Zeek connection info (IP addresses, ports)|
|crc_transmitted||string||Hex representation of CRC-16 value transmitted in payload|
|crc_calculated||string||Hex representation of CRC-16 value calculated when parsed|
|payload||vector||Vector of |
All ICSNPP Packages:
Full ICS Protocol Parsers:
- Full Zeek protocol parser for BACnet (Building Control and Automation)
- Full Zeek protocol parser for BSAP (Bristol Standard Asynchronous Protocol) over IP
- Full Zeek protocol parser for BSAP Serial comm converted using serial tap device
- Full Zeek protocol parser for Ethercat
- Ethernet/IP and CIP
- Full Zeek protocol parser for Ethernet/IP and CIP
- Full Zeek protocol parser for Genisys
- Full Zeek protocol parser for OPC UA (OPC Unified Architecture) - Binary
- Full Zeek protocol parser for S7comm, S7comm-plus, and COTP
Updates to Zeek ICS Protocol Parsers:
- DNP3 Zeek script extending logging capabilities of Zeek's default DNP3 protocol parser
- Modbus Zeek script extending logging capabilities of Zeek's default Modbus protocol parser
Idaho National Laboratory is a cutting edge research facility which is a constantly producing high quality research and software. Feel free to take a look at our other software and scientific offerings at:
Copyright 2022 Battelle Energy Alliance, LLC. Released under the terms of the 3-Part BSD license (see